[Void-news] Sherry Hendrick

splithorizon at voidtacticalmedia.org splithorizon at voidtacticalmedia.org
Mon Sep 13 10:47:55 PDT 2021

Hello Void Family,

This week we prepare the memorial of our dear friend, Sherry Hendrick.
A supporter and guide since the first days of Void Tactical Media, you
knew her around Trumbull, on our message board, or through the stories
we shared of her works in Detroit.

I share below the memorial announcement, penned by Key.

Dear friends,

Our beloved mentor and collaborator, a powerhouse of art and ideas, of
paint and prose, Sherry Hendrick, died in her home the night of November
21st 2020. This Detroit born Cass Corridor artist, house painter,
framer, curator, researcher, historian, activist, ally, knew who she was
and always sought to learn more. Sherry held a rich lexicon of her own
creation, drawing from the ethers to communicate depth and meaning more
deftly than any other person I've known. But mostly to me, she was a
friend.

My most cherished memories of Sherry are quiet. Personal. A summer
sunset porch sit watching the cooler air of night lazily toss around
cottonwood fuzz, then bats, saying a lot by saying nothing. Rustling up
details around the kitchen table, radio voices in the background, while
she draws a map of how my years have changed. However many revisions it
took, she made sure to get it "right". Late night phone calls in awe of
the moon. Texts that were whispers - soft in delivery, strong in
connection. If you weren't still within yourself you could miss her
meaning. Birthed and passed in the year of the rat she told me  "But I
think I'm more of a country mouse" and I will forever remember her in
this way. Gentle, fastidious, and wise in the ways of the land. Plants
and animals spoke to her in hushed voices and she knew how to listen.
She wielded time as media, crafting lived spaces to explore ideas and
strengthen bonds of connection (to self, nature, each other). Through
this, and hours chopping wood, she taught me how to be, how to love, and
how to approach life as the most important art any of us will
participate in. Now she joins her husband and life long collaborator,
poet Mick Vranich, and if you are reading this we are joined in having
been deeply changed by knowing her.

All are invited to a garden memorial in her honor on September 18th,
2021 at 3pm, near Alley Culture (address below). We ask that, in lieu of
flowers, you consider donating funds to this memorial effort. All
contributions exceeding those expenses will be used toward the
maintenance and improvement of her house and the land it occupies. See
the information below for how to do so. If you plan on attending please
RSVP to this email so that we may anticipate capacity. Any questions
about the memorial or the future of Alley Culture can be asked to this
email. Feel free to forward this to others who knew Alley Culture or
Sherry.

We also invite you to send a postcard with a short story about Sherry
written on the back, to be displayed for everyone to read at the
memorial. We will have cards on hand on the day of if you'd rather write
in person.

With deep grief in the loss we share and boundless joy in the
connections that remain,
Gwen McKay, on behalf of Alley Culture

Memorial Location
4147 Lincoln Ave.
Detroit MI
48208

All postcards, and check contributions to
Leslie Nicholas
94 Palmer St.
Pontiac, MI
48341

Digital contributions via Venmo
@SH_memorial_fund

Art and ideas: 184.171.244.38/~vox/ac/exhibit.html
Paint and prose: marks-archive.com/301/hendrk/shind.htm
Cass Corridor:
www.arteidolia.com/dialogue-christine-hughes-sherry-hendrick-detroit/