[Void-news] Excession

splithorizon at voidtacticalmedia.org splithorizon at voidtacticalmedia.org
Tue Apr 25 11:29:52 PDT 2017

	Calling all Tacticals!

	Our latest vinyl has been released, and now is the time to spread the
word.  If you have enjoyed or been inspired by our parties, our
music, and our ideas over the years, then consider helping us spread
the word about this unique release in our discography, an archival
offering capturing a live set at our party Excession in 2011.  While
we normally don’t spend too much time looking back, when the
recording of Metria’s set showed up in our hands, we knew it had to
go onto vinyl, even though it’s not your typical selection.  Why?
If you were there you felt it, a surprise early set that all but ended
the party.  And why else?  Because at 20 minutes it fits on a 12”,
and shows you what can be accomplished in a bounded tactical
positioning of the dance floor.  We want to tell this story, and the
work songs of Void Tactical, our place on the margins that we have
built together.

	So would you be willing to help out?  Well of course you can pick up
the record for yourself, and that would be great, but what we really
need is those who can help spread the word on the ground floor: yep,
posting and re-sharing.  Out there on social media, consider placing
these posts into your own feed, and saying what your part of Void
Tactical is, or why someone else should give a damn about this
project.  Let’s take this moment to celebrate Dave Cole aka Metria,
and that life of art that we make together.

	Twitter:

	https://twitter.com/voidtactical/status/851574138338594816

	Facebook:

	https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10154817539788172&id=166927783171
[1]

	Soundcloud:

	https://soundcloud.com/voidtacticalmedia/sets/vtcl004-metria-excession
[2]

	Instagram:

	https://www.instagram.com/p/BTQMHBnAmsC/?taken-by=_splithorizon [3]

	Bandcamp:

	https://voidtacticalmedia.bandcamp.com/album/excession-vtcl004 [4]

	Mixcloud:

	https://www.mixcloud.com/voidtactical/metria-excession-void-tactical-media-004/

	Hear This:

	https://hearthis.at/voidtactical-lk/ [5]

	Reality:  Can you think of a local record shop we don’t know
about?  Would you be willing to take in a few Void Tactical records
to sell?

	We could also use some connects to
blogs/reviewers/enthusiasts/podcasts who cover hard electronic /
broken beat.  Looking out to source the network a bit more, it is a
time to build to the next wave, and bounce this release towards some
energy for new activities in the works.

	Thank you!!

	- Split Horizon

	—————————————

	I remember walking across to Division Street sometime around 2008,
hearing this otherworldly howling echo across the Eastern Market.
When I came in the door, it was David Cole, Metria, piloting his Nord
Lead into songs of the post-industrial era.  In the years since then,
I’ve seen Metria perform fewer times that I would have expected, but
it has often been a similar story: an initial disorientation, an
unexpected exposure to a sound, following by the recognition that here
is one of our own, speaking a story of our time in Detroit through
electronics and noise.

	Void Tactical Media 004 archives one of those moments, this time from
our party Excession in 2011, organized primarily by Key.  Landing at
North End Studios on a cold December night, we had pro sound from Jim
Gibbons but no heat, just people showing up in a raw Detroit space to
witness beats and distortion.  Metria as an opener that night, and
played short - something like 20 minutes.  But when the set ended,
Dave had taken us to a place that we hadn’t expected just yet.  A
tempo-warping, hard broken beat industrial build was answered with
yells and cheers at the early hour of 10:30pm.  You might even say
the rest of us performing felt almost unnecessary.

	A few years later, out of the blue, Andy shows up with recordings of
the event.  No one remembered recordings even happening.  Turns out
Metria’s set fits almost perfectly onto 12” vinyl.  Key revisited
her original flier art to work an amazing jacket design.  Final 2
color silk screening on matte black paper by Angie Coe at Ocelot Print
Shop in Detroit.  It’s not your usual 4 track selection, this time
what we have is a piece of our history, as it was written.

Links:
------
[1]
[3] https://www.instagram.com/p/BTQMHBnAmsC/?taken-by=_splithorizon