[Void-news] Void Tactical Media October Newletter

Matthew Shultz void at fromthegut.org
Sat Oct 23 16:41:22 PDT 2010

Void News October 2010

This fall Void Tactical has more going on that ever.  With two parties coming up shortly and the launch of our digital label Form and Structure we've more than got our hands full, read below to keep up!

In this newsletter:

1. Void Tactical Media Presents: x24  SFBAY/Detroit
2. AND x24 Detroit!
3. Form and Structure - Additiv 'Its Expensive and it Can Kill You' now available
4. … and a word on digital releases..
5. Now Distributed by FIXT distribution, Bandcamp
6. Print section now online at void.fromthegut.org
7. Redrot 7" update

1. Presenting: x24 Nov 24th SFBAY

Opening a new chapter for Void Tactical Media, we are very excited this autumn to invite all west coast friends and allies to our first large scale event in the San Francisco Bay.  After 7 years of activity in and around Detroit, it's time to bring our approach to new horizons.  Joining us as we expand West are Vasculator (Pittsburgh, PA), Additiv (Berlin), Diskore (L.A.), and Xanopticon (Pittsburgh) with support from Split Horizon (now local!), Dimentia (Katabatik) and Intoner (Bass Contortion).  We are leaving our underground location for this even undisclosed for the time being, so be sure to check the web frequently for updates, as well more artist info soon.  We promise to bring it at extent like we have for years in Detroit, full scale transformed space combined with broken bass and distorted electro - our style.

http://www.voidtacticalmedia.org/x24/

2.  AND x24 Detroit -  Dec 31st Detroit

After x24 at extent, we bounce it back to core for a solid New Year's Eve party in Detroit.  RMS, stalwart contributor to Katabatik Soundsystem, will be joining up with us as Additiv, Vasculator, Xanopticon, and Split Horizon all flow through as well.  Local support from Killx8 and Redrot rounds out the night for a triumphant dawning of our next year.  Location is the Eastern Market, the original turf.  Full scale as always, with solid sound, x24 continues out tradition of community grounded, cutting edge events.  Come check out where we are headed, it's looking awesome…

http://www.voidtacticalmedia.ord/x24d

3. Form and Structure is Live!

Our long anticipated digital sub-label is now rolling with it's first release, right on target with an EP from Additiv.  We couldn't be more pleased to welcome him into the fold. Since early days hanging with us near and in Detroit, he's traveled through San Francisco and now resides in Berlin where he's been testing his newest sounds. Weaving together pounding bass and layered noise, we can hear the sound of those foundational influences both more abstracted and more refined. Bolus is a full spectrum assault, Rubber Fist rocks out, Tenderfuk tells the story, and It's Expensive and it can Kill You contextualizes the whole assault. Complete with cover art by Ian Liddle, It's Expensive and it Can Kill You brings the best of Berlin to your system. Digital files are full quality, professionally mastered wav or flac downloads, and the download comes with high quality images of the front and back cover. Form and Structure is on the launch, expect new releases by the month!  http://www.voidtacticalmedia.org/fas/ is the place.

4. A word on digital releases

It's interesting, we've found ourselves on all sides of the digital music discussion.  We all remember when the small record stores started closing, some citing mp3 sharing as the reason for their declining customership.  On the other hand we also saw big music industry take a big hit, reducing their control, at the same time as the cost of releasing records began to double and triple.  All said it's been a crazy ride.  The main reason we've decided to experiment with monetized, digital releases is because, just like physical releases, these digital releases actually have time and monetary costs built into the process of making a really good release.   We're towing the same line as with our physical releases - any cash that comes back in just goes to support the work of the label.  The bottom line is the spread of ideas, and in complex society some things are just not possible without economics.  Releasing vinyl now costly, and hence very very slow.  A caveat to keep in mind, is that in the 90's the very low cost of releasing vinyl was a direct result of low oil prices - vinyl is part of the oil baron economy. On the other hand releasing digital is inexpensive and gives us a way to get ideas out there on a more effective timescale.  The bottom line is ideas - alternative formations, critical engagement - never economics.  Will we continue with physical releases?  Absolutely, along with whatever is necessary to cut through the bullshit brainwash constantly being force fed.  That's the meaning of tactical media, using what is available but making sure that our efforts are grounded in a completely different structure of life.

5. FIXT Distribution and BandCamp

We're very pleased to have gotten a warm response from the folks running the new distribution FIXT.  You'll be seeing Void releases showing up along with their developing catalogue of hybrid sounds.  http://fixtstore.com/storefront.php  Check it.

Additionally high quality downloads of all Void and Void Tactical releases will be showing up over time at http://voidtacticalmedia.bandcamp.com as both individual files and full packs.

6.  Void Print Section

In an effort to broaden scope of media we are presenting through Void Tactical, we have added a 'print' section to our website.  You will find there the full text of the first Dancing Star, a collaborative effort, plus several manuscripts by Split Horizon and other collective efforts.   Most of these works have been in circulation on other types of medium, but this new page will allow us to keep better track of them and make them more available!  We'll be announcing further additions as they are created.

7. Redrot 7"

We know we've been leading you along on this one, and yes it is almost ready.  However a delay in screen printing has pushed it back.  Expect hard release deadline by x24 Detroit, where you can come check out Redrot performing as well!  We went all out on the design for this one, including hand screened sleeves held together with blue rivets - which has made the production take too long!  Very soon now!!!!