[Void-news] March 2010 Newsletter

Matthew Shultz void at fromthegut.org
Thu Apr 22 17:00:00 PDT 2010

Void Tactical Media - April 2010

In Detroit it is now early spring.  We have spent the winter working hard, storing up energy for a strong push forward this year. We began the spring with what was our biggest event to date, Deep Core.  This spring also marks a bittersweet transition for the whole From the Gut family, as Split Horizon relocates his center of operations to Oakland, California.  We also announce the printing of The Dancing Star, which is to be a series a zines detailing the theory behind out practice, as well as an upcoming release from Redrot. More details on all below.

In this Newsletter:
	- Deep Core was a huge success
	- The Dancing Star
	- Redrot 7" - VOID012
	- FTG NYC June 19th
	- Split Horizon relocates to Oakland, CA

+ DEEP CORE

Those that attended Deep Core on March 27th already know that this was one of our most successful events ever.  Culminating 7 years of work and many months of planning, Deep Core went off without a hitch.  Bringing together many of our most solid allies from around the country and rocking a thumbing dance floor of over 200 people, we again merged heavy sound with transformed space concepts to celebrate and communicate our ideas and work.  Archive of image is now up at http://void.fromthegut.org/  We want to say a special thanks to everyone that played and also all the new faces we saw in attendance.  Without support on all ends, from performers to participants to community members, events like this wouldn't be possible.  It really is a very special thing to pull off these multifaceted events, and it truly reflects upon the quality of everyone invalid to see how our community has built, and continues to build, over the years.  Here's to an ever expanding roster of friends, collaborators, and shared explorations!

Also: We had made a special card to give away at the door of Deep Core, but these got misplaced at the last minute.  If you send your address to void at fromthegut.org we would be thrilled to mail you one.

+ The Dancing Star
We are very excited to announce the first issue of a collaborative zine detailing some of the ideas behind Void and From the Gut.  The first issue features two essays: 'The Function of Transforming Space' and 'What Can Collective Action Accomplish.'  This is part of what is to be an ongoing effort to bring more direct exposition of our ideas into play.  The Dancing Star is available in the Void Tactical Media online shop at http://voidstore.fromthegut.org/index.php/print/the-dancing-star-1.html

+ Redrot 7"

Upcoming release on our VOID imprint for RedRot has now returning from pre-mastering!  You can check out the new sounds online at http://voidstore.fromthegut.org/index.php/print.html  This 7" is being cut for maximum volume and will be limited to 200 copies with hand screened and assembled packaging.

+ FTG in New York City June 19th

Void Tactical Media announces a From the Gut transformed space in New York City the weekend of the summer solstice.  This event will bring together the Detroit From the Gut family with close ally and designer Thiago deMello Bueno, as we work together on an experimental transformation of his space.     Stay tuned on the From the Gut website (fromthegut.org) as details unfold for this very special event.

+ Split Horizon relocates

As of late April, I have ended my tenure as a full time resident of Michigan and Detroit.  It was a difficult decision to make, and one that took literally over a year of preparation.  Many times when people leave Michigan it is out of exasperation or desire to escape the problems there.  For me it's different.  I love Michigan, and I have found people and experiences in Detroit and Michigan unlike any other place I have traveled - it's been a valuable and solid experience.  Detroit is truly different from the hegemony of everywhere else, the vantage point on the outside of the world.  Perhaps more crucial, even, is the fact that Michigan is my foundation.  We know each other, we have a culture together because we have lived together in our region for our lives.  However, after 31 years in this area, I need to relocate to gain specific types of experience that are more difficult to gather in Detroit.  Some time ago I decided to begin a new phase in my life moving towards studies in ecology and environmental chemistry, and the first phase of this motion is relocating to the San Francisco Bay.  It's come time to expand upon my base of computer science and media theory to bring some new layers into play.  Nevertheless, I will not be by any means abandoning From the Gut or Void Tactical Media, which are set for strong expansion this year and which for the time begin will retain their addresses in Eastern Market.  A point to life is continuously build upon the base of experience, ideas, and connections that one has, refining a concept into a truly valuable contribution.  In Detroit, if you can access it, you will find a self reliant, grounded ethos here that is like no other.  For all collaborators - thank you so much for all your hard work over the years, building the From the Gut space and concepts, bringing Void Tactical Media into existence, and endlessly exploring alternative paths and critiques.  For all friends and supporters - Void would be little without your decision to lend an ear.  Let's stay in touch and keep it rolling, wherever it is necessary to be.  There is a wealth of memories, conversations, and projects that only continues to build.  I will be be returning to Detroit form time to time, and have a few events in the city in mind.  If you are in the bay, drop me a line.  There is much to be valued in the void - cherish and exalt it.  Onward to the next plateau - all paths are opened.